Sign in to follow this  
Jack T. Lamplighter

Journey to Kingsport – by Womby – narrated by Asclepius

Hello everyone, this is Asclepius, with another wonderful tale from Womby.  It is entitled

Journey to Kingsport

Background music by Smartsound

According to his hastily scribbled map the tavern was located in Kingsport.
It had taken hours of torture to extract that information from Lord Xychra. Not much of a result after investing all that valuable time.
Still, Lord Xychra had mentioned an associate who ran a tavern in Kingsport. Perhaps he could be fooled into leading him to the stash.

After locating the tavern nestled by the Kingsport docks, Dhank stepped inside to discover a small, dimly lit bar that had obviously seen better days.
The only occupant was the bartender, who paused what he was doing to glance up. A slightly raised eyebrow demanded an explanation for this intrusion.

“Lord Xychra sent me” said Dhank. “He has directed me to collect some items from his stash, and asked me to show you this as proof”.
With that he dropped Lord Xychra’s ring on the bar. The same ring that less than 24 hours earlier he had removed from his Lordship’s lifeless body.
Slowly the bartender picked up the ring and examined it carefully. “Very well. Wait here while I fetch the key and write down some directions.”

With that the barman left the room, and Dhank replaced the ring on his finger.
The barman eventually returned with a rough parchment and a large iron key.
“Follow these directions and they’ll take you where you need to go.”

Following the directions was straightforward, as the location was only a short walk away, beneath the docks.
The key opened a door into the town sewer and Dhank slowly made his way forward, cursing his oversight in not bringing a torch.
He could no longer see the map and inched forward, first following the wall on his left, then the wall on his right before becoming hopelessly disoriented.

Eventually the passage he was in led to a small platform overlooking a large channel filled with a dark and menacing liquid.
It might have been water, but Dhank wasn’t about to bet his life on it.
Suddenly he found himself rooted to the spot as he was struck by a spell cast from somewhere behind him.
Dhank heard footsteps circle around him, then a torch flickered to life revealing the bartender who had sent him here.

“Lord Xychra would never have parted with that ring. It’s a shame that you killed him. He used to send me the ingredients for my special meals.”
The bartender came closer as he spoke, and Dhank could see that he wore a butcher’s apron and carried a large set of knives hanging from a leather belt around his waist.
On the opposite side of the platform, visible for the first time in the light of the torch, Dhank could see a butcher’s station.

“I guess you’re the last.”

Echoes From the Caverns

Echoes From the Caverns

The post Journey to Kingsport – by Womby – narrated by Asclepius appeared first on Echoes from the Caverns.

View the full article